Monday, January 30, 2017

Self-introduction

1       1. Your name (and name you prefer to be called, if different):
    Jin Kai
2. Your hometown:
Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China
3. Your major(s) and minor(s): N/A
4. Class of:  N/A
5. Why are you taking this class?  What do you hope to get out of it?
    Because I am interested in both photography and Japanese culture.
6. What aspects of Japanese culture are of interest to you?
    Animation and tea culture.
7. What, if any, direct experience of Japan or its culture have you had? 

    I have learned Japanese language for a year and like to watch Japanese anime.
8. Add any other comments you might wish to make, including descriptions of image-making activities you may have been involved with (such as drawing, painting, making sculpture, drawing manga, taking photographs beyond casual pictures, etc.). 

        I think it would be a great idea to be involved in some image-making activities in class, esp. sculpture making, which I have never tried before.

My images:
(1) an image of Japan that appeals to me
Image result for 日本 樱花

This is an image of Sakura branches sticking above a river, with a row of wooden houses built along the river. The two men walking along the road seem to be wearing traditional Japanese clothes and all these form a harmonious picture of a traditional Japan that I like.

(2) an image of an art work or some other cultural product that appeals to me
Image result for Japanese art work

This is an image of the world-renowned woodblock print Kanagawa Oki Nami Ura by the Japanese ukiyo-e artist Hokusai. I saw this work of art in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and was attracted by it immediately. It depicts huge waves off the coast and the boats seem to be struggling not to be destroyed by the waves. Mount Fuji is not far away. I like the colors white and blue used in the print.


(3) an image that I took (a photo) or made myself (for example, a drawing) that I can share with the others in the class. 
This is an image of a canvas painting that I drew last semester at a painting activity. I needed something to decorate my dorm, so took part in the activity and drew it. It depicts several orange flowers, that is because I like flowers and I like the color orange. Thus this painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment